What is free time?


The life of an instructor seems to be jammed packed.  Starting in September, you hit the ground running and don't stop until the final marks are entered.  I tried taking a weekend off once and I fell horribly behind my marking.  Taking time off didn't seem to be worth the stress!

That being said, I stress to my nursing students the importance of mental health days.
Even if you don't have a full day to devote to rest and relaxation, you can at least take an afternoon to yourself.  One of my favourite forms of escapism is reading.  When I actually get a chance to read FICTION, it is glorious.

One of the other things I love to do in my free time is to take courses with The Khan Academy.  The Khan Academy is a non-profit educational organization that provides free classes in various topics.  The classes are extensive, well-researched and fun!  I am currently taking a math course (not so fun) to prepare myself for a class I have to take in January.  The other course I am taking is in Cosmology and Astronomy.  Yes.  I am a huge space nerd and I dream of a day when I can study astrophysics full time.  Until that day, I will continue to sit on my balcony and look at the stars...  And take some fun courses with the Khan Academy!

Here is a quick video explaining their philosophy: