Censorship on Campus?




Full disclosure:  I have an extreme aversion to censorship.  I find the ability to control information and ideas inherently destructive especially when in the hands of people in power.

With that out of the way, there has been an interesting article circulating among the faculty where I teach.  Essentially, it describes how students are demanding faculty provide them with "trigger warnings" on content that "might cause a strong emotional response."

Do faculty have a right to refuse to censor content?  Isn't the purpose of higher education to challenge ideas?

I am especially biased to this concept because I have worked with patients with significant PTSD from horrors such as war crimes and residential schools.  I honestly don't know how I feel about this trend and I am curious to see if it *trigger warning* bleeds over into the college where I teach.